Boost your Bulbage now!
Largely for the sake of ensuring my blog writing doesn’t become as erratic as the current weather, but also because I’m being asked a fair bit here are five tips to help you get the best from your bulbs.
As your bulbs start to finish flowering its time to act to ensure you get a good display next year:
- Remove the dead flower head at the top of the stalk
- Leave the green stalks as they act like leaves and produce valuable food for the bulb
- Add a quick acting fertiliser and water it in (You might not need to worry so much about the watering at the moment!)
- Only remove the foliage once it’s dead
- If this year’s display was starting to look over crowded mark it with a cane so you can lift and spread out the bulbs once dormant. You can do the same if you’re trying to follow a colour scheme and have some rouge colours.